top of page

J-1 Student FAQS

Get answers to your questions: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for J-1 Students Participating in our Work and Travel Program through American Work Adventures

  1. What is a J-1 Visa and how does it work? A J-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows foreign students to work and travel in the United States for a temporary period. As a J-1 student, you will be able to work for up to four months during your summer break and travel for up to 30 days after your employment period.

  2. What kind of jobs can I perform as a J-1 student? As a J-1 student, you can perform a wide range of jobs as long as they are not considered hazardous or detrimental to your health and safety.

  3. How do I apply for a J-1 Visa through American Work Adventures? To apply for a J-1 Visa through American Work Adventures, you will need to submit an online application through one of our overseas partners in your home country, provide supporting documents, and participate in an interview with one of our program coordinators.

  4. What kind of support will I receive during my employment period? American Work Adventures provides 24/7 support to J-1 students during their employment period, including assistance with any issues that may arise, such as finding accommodations, dealing with employers, or addressing any legal or immigration concerns.

  5. Will I receive training for my job? Yes, host employers are required to provide adequate training to J-1 students to ensure they can effectively perform their job duties.

  6. How are J-1 student wages determined and what is the minimum wage requirement? J-1 student wages must meet the federal and state minimum wage requirements. The exact wage will be determined by the host employer based on the job duties and level of experience required.

  7. Will I have time to travel and explore the United States during my program? Yes, J-1 students are allowed to travel for up to 30 days after their employment period. Additionally, many J-1 students choose to use their free time during their employment period to travel and explore different parts of the United States.

  8. What happens if I have a problem with my host employer? If you have a problem with your host employer, American Work Adventures will provide support and guidance to help resolve the issue.

  9. Can I bring my family or friends with me to the United States during my program? No, J-1 program regulations do not allow for family members or friends to accompany you during your program.

  10. Will I be able to extend my program or come back in subsequent years? J-1 students are only eligible for one program per year, but you may be eligible to participate in subsequent years if you meet certain criteria and requirements.

  11. What happens if I become ill or have an emergency while in the United States? American Work Adventures provides medical and emergency assistance to J-1 students during their program. If you become ill or have an emergency, you should contact our program coordinators immediately.

  12. What are my obligations as a J-1 student during the program? As a J-1 student, you are required to comply with all program regulations and maintain valid legal status while in the United States. Additionally, you must report any changes in your address or employment status to American Work Adventures.

  13. Can I work overtime or on weekends and holidays? Yes, J-1 students can work overtime, on weekends, and holidays as long as they are compensated accordingly.

  14. Will I have access to health insurance during my program? Yes, all J-1 students are required to have health insurance while in the United States. American Work Adventures provides comprehensive health insurance coverage for all program participants.

bottom of page